This year, Maha Shivratri will be held on 13th and 14th February. Also known as the “Great Night of Lord Shiva”, it is one of the most awaited festivals for every Shiva devotee in the world. On this day, fasting is done to pay respect to Lord Shiva as devotees sing hymns and bhajans to clean their soul. Since the god is associated with immortality, devotees mostly ask for a long and healthy life. If you are also fasting this year, then you should know about Maha Shivratri muhurat timings, the way to worship, and things to avoid on this auspicious day. We have got it all covered in this post.
- Part 1. Maha Shivratri Muhurat
- Part 2. Maha Shivratri Puja Vidhi
- Part 3. Things to Avoid on Maha Shivratri
- Part 4. Significance of Mahashivratri
- Part 5. Shiv Bhajans for Shivratri
- Part 6. Listen to Devotional Music
Maha Shivratri Muhurat
This year, Maha Shivratri will be held on both, 13th as well as 14th February. Although, the muhurat for 14th February is past-midnight, so we recommend you to fast on 13th February instead.
The best muhurat for Maha Shivratri this year starts from eight minutes past midnight and would last for some 50 minutes. That is, you can fast the entire day on 13th February and break it at 00:08 (14th February). The puja can be done in the next 50 minutes. Though, if you are not able to wait for the next day, then you can break your fast on 13th February as well. The Chaturdashi Tithi begins from 22:34 on the night of 13th February. Therefore, you can take a bath, eat, and pray at 13th night as well.
A lot of people don’t prefer doing a prayer at night. Another Maha Shivratri muhurat is from 7:30 am to 3:20 pm on 14th February. Therefore, you can do Shivratri puja once on 13th night to break your fast and then follow the entire ritual (ideally 4 times) on 14th February as per your convenience.
Note: All these timings are in IST (Indian Standard Time).
Maha Shivratri Puja Vidhi
After selecting an ideal Maha Shivratri muhurat, you should be eager to know how to perform the Shivratri puja and ritual. Follow these steps to ensure Maha Shivratri puja is performed in an ideal way:
- If you are fasting on 13th February, then start your day by taking a bath early morning and visiting a Shiva temple nearby. Seek his blessings and perform a doodh-snaan. That is, take some milk and pour it on the Shivlinga.
- To perform a doodh-snaan, firstly clean the linga by pouring some water on it. Now, pour milk on the linga and gently rub it with your hands. In the end, decorate the linga with Aegle Marmelos (Belpatra) leaves or white flowers as it is considered auspicious to perform a Shivratri ritual.
- Once the morning ritual is completed, you can come home and continue fasting as per your preference. Try to listen to Shiv bhajans during the day and sing hymns to praise him.
- We recommend not eating anything except a few fruits and juices occasionally and consuming lots of water. This will also detoxify your body. If your body doesn’t allow, then you can take one meal in the evening as well.
- Now, to break your fast, perform an abhishek to Lord Shiva. You can visit a nearby temple or do it at your home if you have a Shivlinga.
- To do an abhishek (ritual), clean the linga with water (preferably Ganges water or rose water). Ganges water is highly recommended as it is considered that the river has been originated from Shiva’s hair. Now, pour milk on the linga and offer auspicious ingredients like honey, yogurt, sugar, sandalwood paste, bilva leaves, dhatura, and white flowers.
- Complete the Shivratri puja by reading Shiva Chalisa and singing your favorite Shiva bhajan. We also recommend reciting Mahamrityunjaya Mantra 108 times to have a healthy and prosperous life.
ॐ त्र्यं॑बकं यजामहे सु॒गन्धिं॑ पुष्टि॒वर्ध॑नम् ।
उ॒र्वा॒रु॒कमि॑व॒ बन्ध॑नान् मृ॒त्योर् मु॑क्षीय॒ माऽमृता॑त् ।
Mahamrityunjaya Mantra in IAST
Om tryambakam yajāmahe sugandhim pushtivardhanam
urvā rukamiva bandhanān mrtyor muksīya mā’mrtāt
Things to Avoid on Maha Shivratri
Now when you know about the Maha Shivratri muhurat and puja vidhi, you can surely perform the ritual in an ideal way. Though, you should avoid making these common mistakes on this auspicious day.
- Avoid performing the abhishek before the commencement of Chaturdashi Tithi.
- Don’t wear black clothes during the day or while performing the rituals.
- Avoid offering tulsi leaves and ketaki flower to Lord Shiva.
- If you are offering rice, then make sure that the grains are not broken.
- Always perform the ritual with your working hand (that is, right for right-handed people and left for left-handed people). Don’t use the other hand to offer anything.
Significance of Mahashivratri
There are numerous legends that are associated with Maha Shivratri. According to Hindu mythology, it is the day when Lord Shiva drank all the poison from the manthan. He took all negativity from the world and purified it from evil entities. It also implies the day when Shiva protected all the humans and other gods from the apocalypse. According to some other legends, it is the night when the Lord performed the heavenly dance of Nataraja. This led to the inception of the gods of creation (Brahma), preservation (Vishnu), and destruction (Mahesh).
Shiv Bhajans for Shivratri
Every Shiva devotee likes to listen to various hymns and bhajans dedicated to Lord Shiva. You can also give these bhajans a listen to have an auspicious day.
Listen to Devotional Music on Snaptube
If you are confused where to listen to various Shiv bhajans on this Maha Shivratri, then give Snaptube a try. This freely available Android app has integrated numerous entertainment and streaming platforms. You can find tons of bhajans, hymns, and devotional music related to Lord Shiva and other gods as well. You can listen to these regional songs on numerous occasions and festivals.
Besides devotional music, Snaptube has tons of other genres of content as well. This includes Bollywood movies, TV series, songs, and more. Needless to say, you don’t have to switch between different apps after downloading Snaptube. It would be a one-stop solution for every entertainment need of yours and will make your life so much better.
updated by Chief Editor on 4月 30, 2020