“I am no longer interested in what other people share or do,” “I want to explore other options,” or “I want to take a digital break.” Whatever the reason, there are times when one wants to disable their Instagram account.
If you are in the same boat and want to know how to disable Instagram account, this post is your friend in need.
It tells you how to temporarily deactivate an Instagram account, how to delete Instagram account permanently, and how to download Instagram data before deleting the account.
Let us dive into methods and queries related to Instagram account deactivation and deletion right away.
Table of Content
- Part 1: Temporarily deactivate an Instagram account
- Part 2: Deactivating Instagram account – Related Queries
- Part 3: Permanently delete an Instagram account
- Part 4: Deleting an Instagram account – Related Queries
- Part 5: Download Instagram data before deleting the account
If you intend to take a break from Instagram, deactivating the account is the best option rather than deleting the account and losing all your data.
A user can deactivate the Instagram account from a computer, a mobile browser, or the Instagram app itself.
Here is how to deactivate Instagram account from phone.
From Android Phone:
- From your phone’s browser, access the official Instagram site.
- Click on your profile picture, then click on Profile, and, lastly, click on Edit profile.
- Scroll down and tap Temporarily deactivate my account.
- Choose a reason for canceling your account from the drop-down menu.
- Retype your password.
- Tap Temporarily Deactivate Account and tap Yes to confirm.
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- To access your profile, tap your profile image.
- Click the Menu bars to open the drop-down menu, then enter Settings.
- Press the Account tab, then press the Delete account option.
- Tap Deactivate your account option.
- Choose a reason for canceling your account.
- Enter your account’s password again.
- Tap Temporarily Deactivate Account.
- From your PC, go to instagram.com.
- Login with your account info.
- Click on your profile image, click Profile, and tap on Edit profile.
- Scroll down and click Temporarily deactivate my account.
- Choose a reason for canceling your account from the drop-down menu and retype your password. Then the option to deactivate your account will appear.
- Click Temporarily Deactivate Account and press Yes to deactivate the account for a while.
When a user deactivates an Instagram account, Instagram puts their account to sleep. All their data, such as photos, comments, likes, and even their profile, disappear for a while, but it is not lost forever. The user can reactivate their account and retrieve the data whenever they want.
The user can disable their account temporarily for as long as they want and reactivate it anytime. However, Instagram allows user to disable their Instagram account once per week. So, if they disable it, log back in, and wish to disable it again, they will have to wait a week.
No. When a user deactivates an IG account instead of deleting it, Instagram protects all of their account data. Therefore, once the user reactivates the account, their followers and other activities are still there.
Firstly, remember that a disabled account is in sleeping mode; therefore, even when your account says ‘No Posts Yet,’ the post count at the top may show that you have posted. Secondly, the profiles you have sent DMs to can tap on your profile in the conversation and be directed to your now-disabled account.
If you are reading this part, it means you are looking for permanent options. Well, let us tell you, it’s pretty easy to delete your Instagram account, but then there is no going back. Therefore, it is better to deactivate the account if you still intend to come back on this social media platform again.
Nevertheless, here is how to delete Instagram account on your phone and PC.
Remove Instagram Account from Android Phones and PC
- To delete the IG account, launch the device’s browser.
- Visit the Delete Your Account page on Instagram.
- Follow the directions to log in to your account.
- Mention the reason for deleting your account.
- Put in your password again.
- Press the Delete [username].
Delete Instagram Account on iPhone
- Open the Instagram app.
- To access your profile, click your profile photo located in the bottom right.
- After selecting the Menu bar from the top right, select Settings.
- Go to Account and then click Delete account.
- For confirmation, again click on Continue deleting account.
- In the drop-down menu below, choose a reason to delete the IG account and enter the password again.
- Press Delete [username] and then tap OK to confirm account deletion.
Deleting your Instagram account means permanently deleting all your activities, posts, photos, followers, stories, comments, and likes. Hence, all your data will be erased, and this action is irreversible and permanent.
How long does Instagram keep your data after you delete your account?
Instagram says that it keeps your data safe for a maximum of 90 days only. However, it also states that copies of data can still be available after a 90-day period in the backup storage in the case of a catastrophe such as accidental data loss.
Yes. Although Instagram will remove all your posts from your account, pictures or videos, you posted before you deactivated your account will still be accessible to those who have saved them on their phone.
Your account and all of your data will be permanently wiped after 30-90 days of deleting your account. After that, you will not be able to access your data. Therefore, it is best to download IG data before deleting the IG account. Here is how to download Instagram data:
On Android & iPhone:
- To access your profile, tap the Profile icon or your profile photo in the bottom right.
- Click More Options in the top right, then select Activity Controls.
- Click “download” to save your data.
- Tap Request download after entering the email address on which you’d like to receive a link to your data.
- Enter your Instagram password.
- Hit Next on the top right, then tap Done.
- From your web browser, open the IG website.
- Click your profile image in the top right corner and then click Settings.
- Select Privacy and Security.
- Click Request download after scrolling down to Data download.
- Enter the email address you would like to receive the data link.
- To choose the format you want to receive your data, click HTML or JSON, then click Next.
- Once you’ve entered your Instagram password, click Request download.
Bonus Part – Free Download Other People’s Instagram Photos & Videos
We hope by far you must have learned how to disable Instagram account temporarily and permanently. Now let us introduce an app that allows users to download someone else’s Instagram photos and videos efficiently: The Snaptube App.
This unique app enables you to log in to your IG accounts within the app, locate the content, and download it directly to your device gallery.
It’s a straightforward app for all your Instagram download requirements. It lets you download content in HD quality and High-resolution mode.
It is free, secure, and does not require a subscription. Try it now to download Instagram content and save time and money.
updated by Chief Editor on Aug 29, 2022